Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Week 4: Cyclops

It seems like the life in my MicroAquarium is beginning to slow down as we enter the fourth week of the term project. There isn't nearly the same amount of activity as I saw several weeks ago. The water level in my microaquarium has dropped over the weeks as well, I'm assuming that this is in part due to evaporation. Dr. McFarland helped me to identify my first new organism of the week as a juvenile cyclops. A picture I took of the organism can be seen below. I couldn't determine much about the cyclops' feeding habits as it didn't really do much but move around a little bit during the time I was viewing it. I also saw one other organism that I believe to be a Vorticella. I couldn't get a picture as the organism moved around much to quickly to be photographed. It seemed to be attached, feeding, on a bit of the soil at the bottom of the microaquarium. It had a long tail that was constantly moving around and the top of the organism was obscured by the debris it seemed to be attached to.

No comments:

Post a Comment